Healthy soil is the foundation for a food-secure future. But soil degradation plagues one-third of the earth’s land area, resulting in a global economic loss of $40 billion per year. Those most affected – the world’s smallholder farmers – depend on fertile soils for their livelihoods and food security.
How do we nourish the soil and the people who depend on it?
- How does soil health affect crop health? Human health?
- What are farmers’ primary constraints to soil health?
- How are you or your organization helping farmers sustainably manage their soils?
- What extension methods are most effective to encourage smallholder adoption of improved soil management practices?
- What technologies or practices can farmers use to restore soil fertility AND mitigate the impact of climate change?
Tweet @IFDCnews with your questions, using the hashtag #IFDCSoilChat.